Seeing as I JUST got back from a vacation on the west coast and I STILL have a ton of photos and videos to slug through before any semblance of decent posts can resume, I thought I'd drop this little standard doozy on you all.
Your Lolita Lifestyle!
1. What does Kawaii mean to you?
~ It's a word that means cute and has a particularly strong cultural emphasis in Japan, but doesn't mean that much to me.
2. How do you feel about icons such as “Hello Kitty”?
~ They're cute. I don't get super obsessed or anything. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a Hello Kitty rice cooker. >.>
3. Do you class yourself as a Lolita? If yes, what does being a Lolita mean to you?
~ Yes, but that's a small percentage of the total sum of my being. For me, it's a style that kind of fits with certain aspects of myself - the parts that enjoy baking, tea, reading old literature, and sewing pretty things with lace and ruffles.
4. When did you start wearing Lolita and who influenced you?
~ I probably started about five years ago, in earnest. I had never come across it until I found the first English edition of Gothic/Lolita Bible for sale at a con. It was all downhill from there.
5. Do you participate in any conventions/events/meet-ups for Lolita’s?
~ I used to volunteer at an anime convention. Never again. What goes on behind the scenes is nuts. I have attended a few local meetups but really they're not for me. Fashion preferences are not enough to base a real friendship on.
6. Where do you go when wearing Lolita, or where would you like to go?
~ Wherever I want, really. Sometimes I wear it sitting around the house (like today), sometimes I wear it over to the boy's, out to the grocery store, to the movies....wherever.
7. What are your hobbies?
~ I enjoy reading books, sewing, working on my novels, playing with my cat, taking photos, trying new and bizarre foods, and traveling.
8. Who are your idols?
~ I don't really have any. There isn't a particular figure or celebrity that I look up to. I draw inspiration from lots of people, but nothing that stands out above the rest.
9. What are your favourite brands? E.g. Baby the Stars Shine Bright, Angelic Pretty…
~ I'm not really all that into brands. The way I see it, if it's a nice item and I like it - it's mine. I don't care where it comes from, but sometimes the price can be an issue. I have everything from Moitie to Bodyline to handmade and I love it all equally.
10. Do you dress this way for yourself or to receive attention?
~ In a perfect world, everyone would look fancy and wonderful all the time, so there'd be no reason for Lolita to draw attention. Because it would be normal. And to me, it is. So I guess I wear it mostly for myself and maybe a bit to inspire others to be more conscious of how they present themselves.
11. Do you ever attract unwanted attention? E.g. from older men…
~ I do, but not from older men. It seems young men and teenagers are the rudest of them all. But that goes for everything. I don't have to be wearing Lolita to get unwanted remarks from douchebags. :)
12. Do you feel that people create fantasies involving Lolita’s I.e. fetishise you?
~ Possibly. But that goes for everything, doesn't it? Different strokes for different folks.
13. Do you dress in Lolita clothing daily? Or is it your own fantasy that you live out only so often?
~ I wear it when I feel like dressing up and not being completely lazy. No other reason.
14. What image do you feel you portray? One of child-like innocence, or one of rebellion?
~ I feel like I'm portraying a part of myself - that sweetly dark, whimsical, and creepy side.
15. When not wearing Lolita what do you wear?
~ Long prairie dresses, Goth, Punk, hippie caftan dresses....I don't have just one style.
16. Do you socialise with any other subcultures? E.g. Goths, Gyaru…
~I socialize with people, period. Granted, I don't like most people because narrow-mindedness and stupidity get on my nerves but if you're a cool person I don't care WHAT subculture you subscribe to.
Ok guys, now it's your turn! 👯