2013-03-05

Print on Repeat: Story Drabble

Print on Repeat




"Hey, what do you think of this print?" Emily pointed to the photograph on her screen. A lovely Asian girl wearing a pink confection of a dress posed cutely, a smile gracing her features.

Claire glanced up from her novel. "Teddy bears? Why do you want to wear a dress with a teddy bear print?"

"Because it's cute!" Emily replied, as though it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"I think it looks like age-play," the other sniffed. "As if we don't get enough flack for dressing like porcelain dolls, now you want to look like a toddler."

"I don't look like a toddler," Emily protested. She eyed her reflection in the mirror on the wall critically. "I look cute, but I still look seventeen."

"If you say so," Claire muttered. Emily spun around indignantly, ad hominem poised and ready.

"Well, what about you?" She gestured to the black lace of Claire's skirt. "Don't you look like you just came from a funeral?"

The black clad girl let out a long suffering sigh and put her book down. "Listen. I didn't mean to offend you. I personally don't care for all those sugary designs but I never said you couldn't like them."

"I do like them," Emily insisted. "So why do you have to be so mean about it."

"I gave my opinion," Claire said simply. "If you don't like it, don't ask for it."

There was a brief silence in which each girl returned to their respective activities. And then, "Do you think it'll look good on me?"

Claire sighed, again. It had to be done. She put down her book and approached the computer. After leaning down and eyeing the photograph in contemplation, she turned to Emily.

"Yes, it would look good on you."

No comments:

Post a Comment