2013-03-25

52 Lolita Challenge - Week Twelve

Combining Other Fashions With Lolita


Let's get one thing straight here - I'm no purist. I started my forays into alternative styles and subcultures with Goth and if you know anything about Goth fashion it's that it sucks the life blood out of styles for a variety of eras and cultures. Want to wear a bustle skirt with a fishnet top, 1950's hair fascinator, and buckled platform boots? Totally kosher....

But if you were to ask some elitist Lolita if it's okay to wear a Moitie skirt with a t-shirt and sneakers....I believe the response would be much different.

I often pair up Lolita items with non-Lolita items. I don't see the issue with it at all - I'm not calling it Lolita since it's obviously not. It shouldn't matter if the item came from a Lolita brand or not. But some people seem to think this is a big taboo within the subculture.

And it's frakking silly, pardon my language.

I've seen Lolita items work wonderfully in mainstream outfits, in Dolly Kei, in Mori Girl, and in various other street styles. Having said that, I also love seeing items from other obvious styles being incorporated into a Lolita outfit. If people didn't experiment we wouldn't have things like Sailor Lolita, Punk Lolita, or even this "Geek" Lolita thing that's cropping up today.

Fashion is meant to evolve and change. And I do understand that many Lolitas want to hang on to what makes the style unique and different from everything else. Why else this hankering for rule enforcing? But it's okay to let some diversity in. It doesn't mean you have to wear it that way or that it's going to take over and completely change EVERYTHING.

I mean, take a look at Lolita from the early 90's. It doesn't look anything like Lolita today - either here or in Japan. So go ahead and wear your favorite Lolita blouse with jeans. Go ahead, wear that vintage fur stole in your Mori-girl-meets-Lolita coordinate. Do it and look fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment