2013-03-11

52 Lolita Challenge - Week Ten

How I First Found Out About Lolita


I remember the day, almost exactly.

It was April of 2007, the ex-boy and I were at Anime Detour with a couple friends. Personally, I thought the whole affair was silly - Minnesota's con is a joke. Nevermind the fact that I have virtually no interest in anime or manga.

We were just browsing through the dealer's room and happened upon a table laden with books and magazines. Most of it was manga and some of it was music magazines from Japan. But one such book caught my eye. It was the first English edition of the Gothic and Lolita Bible. Now...I'd seen Lolita before but never really gave it much thought. It was a Japan thing, right?

But here was this book, nay - this bible. Girls from all over the world were wearing dresses from brands like Baby, The Stars Shine Bright and Metamorphose. It was inspiring. Anyways, I begged the boy to buy the first edition for me (It was $20 USD - I remember that!) and I took it back to Montreal with me.

And that pretty much jump-started the whole thing. I bought a couple of items from Bodyline after that, used the patterns in the bible to draft a couple of early attempts at hand-made Lolita, and finally....started this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment